Jeff enjoys helping people from all walks of life, in Holland and around the state of Michigan, navigate their way through the mazes of estate planning, trust and probate administration, and tax laws–for example, helping a person who has very few assets avoid the cost of probate, or helping a person with a great deal of wealth to minimize the estate tax burden on his or her heirs. Designing the proper plan takes thoughtful consideration of a myriad of considerations. Jeff enjoys helping people work their way through the process.
“I especially enjoy working with families and helping them avoid problems through proper planning,” Jeff said. “I’m proud to say that on many occasions I’ve represented three generations of the same family.”
His work also involves advising wealthy individuals on how to minimize the transfer-tax burden on their families, and provide appropriate structures to manage those assets for the next generation. Jeff has helped clients who live in the Holland area, throughout West Michigan, from Florida to the tip of Michigan, and from Virginia to California.
- Juris Doctor degree, University of Michigan Law School (magna cum laude)
- Bachelor of Arts degree, Michigan State University (high honors)
- Additional coursework, Grand Valley State University, Master of Taxation program
Original Articles by Jeffrey K. Helder
- MICHIGAN ESTATE PLANNING ENTERS THE 21ST CENTURY.
- Windsor – DOMA Notice
- THE IMPORTANCE OF DIVERSIFICATION
- DEFERRED COMPENSATION, not as simple as it seems
- Finally, Michigan adopts a rational approach to funeral planning
- Is your old AB Trust obsolete?
- Social Security Rules change
- URGENT NEWS FOR PFIZER STOCKHOLDERS!
- Property Tax Uncapping, Part 3 of 3: New Legislation Again Attempts to Clarify the Situation
- Property Tax Uncapping, Part 2 of 3: New Legislation
- Property Tax Uncapping, Part 1 of 3: First, Some History
- Use It Or Lose It—Or Maybe You Don’t Have To
- Trusts and IRAs
- What Is the Scam of the Day?
- Considering Taxes When Allocating Assets Among Beneficiaries
- Michigan single-sex marriages unaffected by Supreme Court rulings
- Don’t Pay For Free Documents Or Overpay For Services
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Taxation and Estate Planning committees
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell BV rating
- 2010 Marvin C. Lindeman Award for meritorious service to the Community Foundation of the Holland/Zeeland Area
- Frequent presenter at estate planning seminars
Volunteer Associations and Memberships
- Hospice of Holland, director
- Kid’s Hope Mentor
Hobbies and Community Activities
- Singing with the Holland Chorale