Seniors and their loved ones face complicated decisions when the need for medical care moves to the forefront of life. One central question presents itself: Is living at home still an option, and if not, where will they live? More seniors in Holland, Michigan (and elsewhere) are now living with their loved ones, but this can place emotional and financial strain on the relationship. Given the demands of one’s own family and career, finding the time and energy to be a caregiver can be daunting.
Assisted living and nursing homes
As a result, more seniors and their families are deciding that it is best to move into assisted-living facilities or nursing homes. Costs for these types of arrangements, however, can be rather expensive (ranging from $2,000 to $10,000 per month). Over time, an assisted-living facility has the potential to entirely consume family resources.
Protecting our senior citizens
Fortunately, options are available to manage these costs. Cunningham Dalman’s Elder Law / Medicaid Planning Practice Group has attorneys and paralegals who specialize in this planning. We have helped hundreds of seniors and their families, in Holland and around the state of Michigan, to find satisfactory living arrangements and care services. In addition to providing cutting-edge planning techniques and remaining abreast of changes in Elder Law, we have a passion for seniors and do everything in our power to ease the hardship of this stressful process.
Here are some of the ways that we help our senior clients:
- Protect their assets and avoiding a “spend-down” on assisted living and nursing care
- Preserve more of a senior couple’s assets if one spouse goes into a nursing home while the other lives on the remaining assets
- Protect a senior’s home from the State of Michigan’s right of estate recovery
- Preserve the resources of a senior who is in a nursing home so that there are funds to pay for the upkeep of the house
- Increase the income a senior can keep after a spouse has qualified for Medicaid
- Qualify a senior for Medicaid in the home (MI Choice)
- Help veterans qualify for the federal Aid and Attendance benefit while they are living at home or in an assisted-living facility