Before becoming an attorney, Jessica worked 10 years as a legal assistant at Cunningham Dalman. During that time, she found her niche in relating to clients’ personal needs. “I find satisfaction in helping individuals and families through the complexities of the law in the areas of bankruptcy, estate planning, Medicaid, and probate,” Jessica said.
Her wide range of experience over the years also allows her to efficiently assist clients in several other legal areas such as secured creditor rights, collection, foreclosures, landlord-tenant disputes, quiet title actions, construction liens, land contracts, tax appeals, and general litigation cases.
- Juris Doctor degree, Thomas M. Cooley Law School (cum laude)
- Bachelor of Science degree, Davenport University
Original Articles by Jessica Arends
- Promissory Notes Losing Value in Medicaid Planning
- Medicaid Policy: Potential Change Will Impact Undocumented Loans
- Estate Planning is Almost as Easy as 1…2…3!
- DNR vs. Life Sustaining Treatment
- Have You Funded Your Trust?
- Rule Change: Protecting a Home and Medicaid Benefits
- Your Home is a Non-Countable Asset for Nursing Home Medicaid Benefits – But What About Their Home?
- What Will a Terror Clause Do for Your Trust?
- Consider Court Before Filing for Medicaid Benefits
- Estate Planning After the Loss of a Spouse
- The Top Three Reasons Medicaid Applications are Not Successful
- National Estate Planning Awareness Week – October 16 – October 22
- Death of a Divorcee and Survival of the Divorcee’s Will
- New Option for Medicaid Qualification and Retirement Assets
- A Living Trust Does Not Protect Your Assets
- Why is a Power of Attorney So Important?
- Ways For Parents To Help Their Disabled Child
- Plan Your Own Funeral So Your Family Can Grieve
- Medicaid Series Part 7: Selling a Home After Medicaid Eligibility
- Medicaid Series Part 6: The Details of Keeping a Medicaid Recipient’s Home
- Don’t Overlook Pets In Your Estate Plan
- Medicaid Series Part 5: The Basics of Protecting a Home
- New Law Allows Planning for Loved Ones to Access Digital Accounts
- New Law Allows Planning to Grant Access to Digital Accounts
- Medicaid Series Part 4: What Assets Can Someone Keep & Still Be Medicaid Eligible?
- The Ladybird Deed Scores!
- Four Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Power of Attorney
- Medicaid Policy Updates Impacting In-Home Care
- Medicaid Series Part 3: Asset & Income Eligibility for a Single Person
- How to Maximize an Inheritance for Someone on Government Benefits
- Taking Care (Legally) of Your 18 Year-Old Baby
- Medicaid Series Part 2: Skilled Nursing Care, Assisted Living, & In-Home Care
- Medicaid Series Part 1: The Difference Between Medicare and Medicaid
- Asset Protection and the Basic Trust
- Peace of Mind CAN Be a Good Enough Reason for Bankruptcy
- Medicaid: Be Careful of Gifting to Your Family and Loved Ones
- Upcoming Seminar: How to Navigate Complicated Legal Issues Related to Estate Planning, Veteran’s Benefits, and Medicaid
- Medicaid: Contracts Required for Family Caretakers
- Safely Passing IRAs to Your Loved Ones
- Medicaid: Skilled Nursing Home Care vs. Annual Gift Exclusion
- Retirement Assets Risk Exposure to Bankruptcy Creditors
- Changes in Medicaid Planning Options for Couples
- Deed Scam … Solicitation
- What You Should Do to Help an Aging Parent
- Keep Property Taxes Low for the Next Generation
- Methods to Avoid Probate
- Estate Planning: How to Prepare for Your First Meeting with an Attorney
- Can I Keep My House If I File Bankruptcy?
- Investing in a Funeral Contract
- Michigan Wrote Your Will … But Do You Like What It Says?
- Updated Durable Power of Attorney Law: Will Your Agent be Turned Away at the Door?
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ottawa County Bar Association
- VA-Accredited Attorney by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- “Estate Planning for Digital Assets: Are You Incorporating This Into Your Practice?” (co-author), Michigan Probate & Estate Planning Journal, Summer 2012
- Seminars on estate planning, Medicaid planning, and veterans’ benefits
Volunteer Associations and Memberships
- Graduate, West Coast Leadership
- Holland Young Professionals
- Senior Marketing Group
- Bonding Connections at Oakcrest Communities
Hobbies and Community Activities